January 17, 2013

American Civil War

Today I'm substituting in a fifth grade classroom. It's been many years since I taught fifth grade and I must say, it's coming back easily. Fifth graders have a special place in my heart.


Image from Reederbooks.com

Students are reading Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder. In this story, we learn about Will's journey as a Southerner to a Northerner's world. Will has lost his entire family and must now navigate through emotional and situational transition. Along the way, he learns that the world is not black and white--that there are shades of gray.

During our snack, I grabbed a picture book from my library to share with students. Along with this book, any of those listed below will enhance a study of the American Civil War.


The Blue and the Gray by Eve Bunting
Image from Library Thing

Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco
Image from Titlepeek
Freedom Ship by Doreen Rappaport
Image from Titlepeek