February 28, 2013

TEACHthinking

I have big questions. They'll not be answered in my lifetime, but I keep asking. Why am I here? What is my purpose? What gives my life meaning? What is the right thing to do?

It's my opinion that all people in all walks of life ask these questions. In fact, children ask these questions. I've been reading the following books to help me help children ask questions--usually in response to literature--and seek kernels of truth.



Image from The Philosophy Foundation


Philosophy for Kids by David White
Image from Barnes & Noble



A great place for ANYONE to start:

Image from TitlePeek

“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”
― Albert Einstein