October 2, 2012

Boys and Books

"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life." 
~W. Somerset Maugham

Has reading changed your life? It has changed mine and I wish the same experience for children. In our home, we read together almost every day. I've read every kind of book you can imagine to my kids. I've mastered the voice of Yoda. Man, I have the reading force. 

So much has been written about boys and the trouble they have finding great books to read. You might find that your son eagerly listens to stories, but won't pick up a chapter book and read on his own. There are two books I recommend to grown ups that address boys and reading:


Best Books for Boys by Pam Allyn
Pam Allyn's Best Books for Boys: How to…
Image from Library Thing

Great Books for Boys by Kathleen Odean
Great Books for Boys by Kathleen Odean
Image from Library Thing

In addition, I find these websites to be useful resources in the hunt for the perfect "boy" book:



Browsing my library for books, I am reminded that the series listed below are excellent for ALL students. I often recommend these books to boys .

The Mystery on Alaska's Iditarod Trail by…
Image from Library Thing
Carole Marsh Mysteries are superb. Her tag line is "Real Kids, Real Places." I like these books for the location--National Parks, famous sites, places families might visit together. Check out Carole's website--phenomenal. 










Murder, My Tweet: A Chet Gecko Mystery by…
Image from Library Thing
Bruce Hale writes about the detective, Chet Gecko. These books play on words with titles like Murder, My Tweet and Bruce's storytelling is superb. Bruce's website doesn't disappoint.












Goblins Attack (Special Edition of The…
Image from Library Thing
Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black have written a fantasy adventure series called "The Spiderwick Chronicles." If your reader likes fantasy this series is complete with field guides, character guides, and more. 











Let me know if you try out these books . . . I'm eager to hear what works well in your house.